What is better than sand, sea, good friends and laying beneath the summer sun? Now, I’m a busy mom and can’t get to the beach as often. I’ll admit to caring a little more about bathing suits and diet cokes than sunscreen. With the type of skin that rarely burns, I was spoiled, always having a great tan. However, now I have lots of brown spots on my face. I like to claim them as freckles! Sadly, they are the result of my carelessness in the sun.
Today I wonder why I wanted to see how dark I could get – worried that sunscreen would prevent me from achieving my quest. Now that I’m older (and wiser) and working in the beauty industry, I quickly discovered the importance of sunscreen. Don’t put yourself at risk for skin cancer or premature aging like I did, believing sunscreen would interfere with getting a beautiful tan. Plus, there are many great products that can provide you with the natural summer glow you love.
Use these sunscreen/summer skincare suggestions to help safeguard your skin:
Use a broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher on your body.
- Many cheaper brands have better sunscreen, so don’t be afraid to buy the store brand.
- Spray sunscreens are easier to apply, but they might not cover as effectively and they run out faster. Using lotions takes a little more time but are worth it to get full coverage.
- On your face, a broad spectrum SPF 50 or higher is best.
- If you are allergic or sensitive to sunscreen, try Nuetrogena or wear makeup with sunscreen.
- For children with sensitive skin or eczema, try the Aveeno sunscreen. It’s a little more expensive, but less irritating.
Having a tan makes you look great during the summer but you don’t have to sacrifice the health of your skin in the process. Avoiding sunscreen is not the answer. Instead, try two of my favorite summer must-haves.
Forgive me for the selfie, but a stylish hat is great for extra sun protection. Even my little boy, Harvey, loves it!
For the perfect faux tan, mix Stila’s sun gel with foundation and body lotion. I love that is has no shimmer so it looks natural. Since it’s not a sunless tanner, you don’t get weird lines. BONUS!